Salvation Army came to Murwillumbah in 1898, which was then a bustling cedar and culturally rich town-The pioneer was a young woman; Ensign Rosetta White who used The Protestant Hall, The School of Arts and the street to share her belief..
A plan was made to build a Citadel. Hospital tents treating overflow of Spanish Flu infirmed was pitched on the site where The Citadel now stands.
Curiously, just one year into SA coming to the town, in 1899 Cpt Ada McGrath visited. She was rowed downstream to the service in Tumbulgum-but did not make it . The Skinner's ferry; 'The Uki' ran over the row boat carrying Ada and three others. Ada and another female passenger drowned.
The Citadel was built in 1920. The church was very active, particularly throughout WW2. The Sallies provided support through many means; including cups of tea, counselling, youth groups and by sharing their music with the band marching through the streets.
The Building was sold and decommisioned in 1991. The Salvation Army moved north to Banora Point where many more of the congregation resided. Since, the building has had many chapters; revived as an Antique Shop, then a residence-the owner holding dance and musical performances, then a haberdashery and finally as a venue for the Arts.
For 71 years Sunday mornings and many other occasions sounds of brass instruments, drums and tamborines filled Wollummbin St. In the spirit of the community of the original owners, The Citadel welcomes patrons and performers to find unity in music, arts and much more..
Copyright © 2021 The Murwillumbah Citadel - All Rights Reserved.